Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Real Motivational Story

Michael is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good mood And always has something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!" He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Michael was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.


Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Michael and asked him, "I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all Of the time. How do you do it?"

Michael replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood. Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or I Can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept Their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose The positive side of life.

"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.

"Yes, it is," Michael, said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people Affect your mood. Your bottom line: It's your choice how you live life."

I reflected on what Michael said. Soon thereafter, I left the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that Michael was involved in a serious accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower. After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Michael was released from the hospital with rods placed in his back. I saw Michael about six months after the accident when I asked him how he was, he replied. "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see my scars?"

I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what had gone Through his mind as the accident took place. "The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my soon to be born daughter, " Michael replied.

"Then, as I lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or I could choose to die. I chose to live."

Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked.

Michael continued, "...the paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared.

In their eyes, I read "he's a dead man. I knew I needed to take action."

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Michael.

"She asked if I was allergic to anything. "Yes, I replied." The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, "Gravity."

Over their laughter, I told them, "I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead ."

Michael lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because Of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully.

1 comment:

  1. That is really great. Another way of motivating is to interact with the people who uses your product. I keep on reading the testimonials to get the additional motivation.

    Also depends on the company you work for, I rejected all offers to work for a smaller company with great people.

    Btw I came from Inferno Blog Hunt, where your blog is submitted. http://inferno.aimk.org/bloghunt/about4003.html. We request your participation. Also share your blogging experience with other Business School Bloggers.

    Thanks,
    Aji Issac
    aji@aimk.org

    ReplyDelete