Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Books

I am not much of a reader; but I read whatever I can lay my hands on, or anything that comes recommended. From random articles on wiki to random blogs, there is much more than meets the eye in this world. While I've read Bhagavad Gita, Qu'ran and Bible, I don't really think there is much difference in what they are trying to preach. Language is different - essence is the same. And I do not really follow any of them blindly, one of the arguments given in one of the books is as follows:

According to injunctions, there are six kinds of aggressors:
1) a poison giver,
2) one who sets fire to the house,
3) one who attacks with deadly weapons,
4) one who plunders riches,
5) one who occupies another's land, and
6) one who kidnaps a wife.

Such aggressors are at once to be killed, and no sin is incurred by killing such aggressors.

Again, I am not supporting or opposing the argument above - merely stating what has been mentioned. Where I find irony is, though all major books follow the above, the laws of the land do not suggest that an individual should take justice in his own hands. And while the basic premise of all judicial systems is one such text or the other, capital punishment still doesn't find favor with most of these courts.

Guess it's time I pick up something to read into the judicial system.

No comments:

Post a Comment